Contact the NRO

Reporting Foreign Government Employment After Departing the NRO

In accordance with the congressionally-mandated requirement in Section 305, H.R. 4681, “Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015,” all individuals occupying an NRO “covered position” (full- and part-time civilian and military personnel) must report employment with foreign government entities for two years after they depart from the NRO. A covered position is defined as any NRO-sponsored job, function, or position requiring Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) access. Employment by a foreign government entity is defined as direct employment by, representation of, or the provision of advice relating to national security to the government of a foreign entity or any person whose activities are directly or indirectly supervised, directed, controlled, financed, or subsidized, in whole or in major part, by any government of a foreign country.

NRO personnel who depart the NRO for a position with another U.S. federal government agency remain subject to this reporting requirement to the NRO 1) upon accepting foreign employment, and 2) then on an annual basis for the specified two-year period. These reporting requirements apply even in cases where the employee is also subject to this requirement per the other U.S. federal government agency’s regulations. This requirement also applies to assignees/detailees to the NRO, who return to their parent agency, then separate from government service within two years following the detail to the NRO.

To report employment by a foreign government entity, please e-mail and include the following information:


Last 4 digits of SSN:

Foreign Government Organization:

Date Employed:

Any questions may be addressed to the e-mail address above.